Runic Games is currently seeking qualified candidates for a 3D Environment Artist position.
Update: This position has been filled. Thank you to everyone that submitted their resumes.
Please read the job requirements below for qualifying information and for submission information. We look forward to hearing from you!
Runic Games is looking for a highly skilled 3D Environment Artist to work on our project in development. The ideal candidate has experience modeling and texturing assets for a diverse range of environments, with an emphasis on the whimsical and fantastic. A foundation of knowledge regarding form, color, and light for both 2D and 3D art assets is essential. Additional skills such as illustration, concept drawing, animation, texture painting, etc. are highly valued. Runic Games currently uses 3DS Max and the ideal candidate has a strong knowledge of and history using it, although experience with Maya, Softimage, or another comparable package is certainly valued. A strong Photoshop skill set is also a must. Our project uses hand-painted textures, so the ability to paint textures rather than relying on photo-reference and normal mapping is vital. The ideal candidate works well in a collaborative environment with a small and dedicated team passionate about making great games.
Runic Games offers a fun, creative, and rewarding environment with excellent benefits and compensation. We’re in the heart of Downtown Seattle with numerous living, entertainment, and social options a short distance away.
- 3+ years experience in game development modeling and texturing environments using 3DS Max and Photoshop (or equivalent 3D and 2D programs).
- Superior eye for light, shade, color and detail in creating texture maps.
- An exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling.
- Self-driven, good communicator and a great team-player.
- A desire to work collaboratively in an iterative and organic production process.
- A passion for games.
- Skill in one or more of the related creation tasks – illustration, modeling, texturing, animation, concept drawing.
- Able to work full-time in the Seattle area.
Bonus Skills or Experiences:
- Have shipped 2 or more PC or console titles as an environment artist
- Strong foundation in the traditional arts…color theory, landscape painting, traditional 2D animation backgrounds, and/or figure drawing are all big plusses.
- A passion for games that utilize fresh and exciting visuals rather than gritty realism.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary history to email@example.com with art samples attached or a link to an online portfolio. Email submission is preferred. If you opt to attach samples, submit your 12 best examples.